The summons to appear means that the officer wants the driver to appear in court before a judge because;
- A serious driving offence has occurred e.g. a fatal car accident.
- The officer believes the driver has a previous history of bad driving, and wants a high penalty.
- The driving actions are so bad that they want the driver to appear in court before the Justice.
- The police officer may be asking the court to consider a period in jail for the offence.
- Or simply the officer only had that type of form with them at the time of issuing.
When the office issues a summons to appear the driver or their legal counsel or agent must appear or the judge may issue a “Bench Summons” for the drivers arrest.