When a police officer issues a ticket for careless driving they can either give the driver a ticket with a fine on it or a “Summons to Appear” in Court before the Justice.
Summons to Appear in Court
Careless driving tickets with a court date listed are called “a summons to appear”.
Why a Summons to Appear in Court
The summons to appear means that the officer wants the driver to appear in court before a judge because;
- A serious driving offence has occurred e.g. a fatal car accident.
- The officer believes the driver has a previous history of bad driving, and wants a high penalty.
- The driving actions are so bad that they want the driver to appear in court before the Justice.
- The police officer may be asking the court to consider a period in jail for the offence.
- Or simply the officer only had that type of form with them at the time of issuing.
When the office issues a summons to appear the driver or their legal counsel or agent must appear or the judge may issue a “Bench Summons” for the drivers arrest.
The Driver or their Counsel Must Appear
The driver must appear on the court date or have someone appear on their behalf. If the driver does not appear for the court date, the Justice can issue a bench summons commanding the police to find the defendant and arrest them.
Careless Driving traffic tickets that are issued by way of a summons can have a fine of up to 10,000.00 dollars, a drivers licence suspension and jail up to 6 months.
Summons for Careless Driving are serious traffic tickets and obtaining legal advice is recommended. Receive free immediate advice by calling OTT Legal >
You’re Not Guilty of Careless Driving
When the police officer issues a ticket for careless driving, it is the officer’s opinion or belief that the driver was driving without due care and attention or driving carelessly. To be found guilty of careless driving, it’s the Justice of the Peace that decides, not the police officer.
When your case is investigated by our legal team we look to;
- show why you may not be guilty of driving carelessly.
- show the court that careless driving is the wrong charge.
- present a legal defence to the charge.
- work to have the charge dropped.
By having an experienced legal team defending you, we’ll explain to the court what actually happened, why the charge should be dropped and defend you in court. It’s your right to challenge the opinion of the police officer and let a judge decide what actually happened.
OTT Legal has thousands of Ontario drivers and we can help you, call today.
Fight Your Careless Driving Ticket
If you fight the ticket yourself and lose or if something goes wrong, a conviction for careless driving will increase your insurance dramatically for three to five years costing you thousands of dollars in insurance premiums,
When you call OTT Legal you’ll speak to;
- former police officers from the Toronto Police Service, Ontario Provincial Police
- paralegals all licensed by the Law Society of Upper Canada
- a team with court experience with accidents and careless driving tickets.
- legal professionals who been helped of drivers with careless driving tickets for years
OTT Legal is one of the few companies that;
For your legal defence we will;
- Give you individual attention
- Ensure everything is done to win your ticket
- Save your insurance rates from going up
- Save your demerit points
- File all court documents and motions
- Obtain any police reports and investigation
- Attend and represent you at all court hearings and trials
- Provide you with a written report at completion.
Contact the office in your area >
More information on Careless Driving
Would you like more information about fighting your Careless Driving Ticket? Send us an email.