At OTT Legal we fight careless driving tickets. Our goal is to win your case and have the charge dismissed.
Where we are unable to have the ticket canceled, we can usually have the charge reduced so you are not convicted of careless driving and save your demerit points.
Most cases we will appear in court on your behalf, relieving you of the stress of appearing in traffic court. We take care of your case, defending you in court with a reasonable one time fee without any additional charges.
When you fight a careless driving ticket, the police officer has to present evidence to the court that the driving actions were careless or showed that the driver “was just not driving careful enough”.
Examples of careless driving could be:
- not driving slow enough for the road conditions
- not leaving enough space between traffic to ensure time to stop safely
- entering a curve too fast and losing control, or
- not paying attention to the road and or hazards
Once the officer presents their case and the court considers the driving actions, the onus falls on the accused or defence to;
- cross-examine any witnesses
- dispute the evidence, or
- dispute the opinion of the officer and driving actions
- present a defence to the charge
Where you choose to fight a careless driving charge, the most important thing to be aware of is that you will bear the burden of proof. That means you will have to convince the judge that your actions were not careless or dangerous, and that the police officer’s assessment of the situation was wrong.